RPGDot Network    

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords (Xbox)
Display full image
Pic of the moment
More
pics from the gallery

Site Navigation

Main
   News
   Forums

Games
   Games Database
   Top 100
   Release List
   Support Files

Features
   Reviews
   Previews
   Interviews
   Editorials
   Diaries
   Misc

Download
   Gallery
   Music
   Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
G3 presentation and interview at GC
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 3 General

Author Thread
Krzychu
Hidden Character
Hidden Character

quote:
Originally posted by Sem
What was the difference with G1, never played it.

In G1 you would get half the price. And if something cost 11 than you would get 6 for it - that's one more lump of ore for you! It meant a lot at the start! Though, in G1 you just got too much ore - at the end, you had so much, you didn't know what to do with it.

Question: Can they name a few NPC's that will return? Does it matter who did you take with you on the ship?
Post Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:47 pm
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Here's a few Q's I thought of:

1. With the new inclusion of physics being used, will they also be using physics for objects and things in the world? Such as the arrows shot from bows, perhaps things in the enviroment, clothing and other things?

2. This time around will we get more customization in terms of visually for our character? Will we still be bound with "one solid piece of armor" or will we finally be able to buy seperate parts? How about clothing? Things like surcoats drapped over our armor, masks/bandannas, etc. What about the ability to dye armor/clothing?

3.Also is there anychance we'll be seeing things like helmets and shields? If so to what extent?

4. Are there new weather systems in the game? If so will it be dynamic in the sense we could see a storm approaching from the distance and over-time have it pass? Will we see more different types of weather? Such as snow that lays and melts over time, among others?

5. How mature would you say the game is compared to the other Gothic games? Will we perhaps see dismemberment this time? What about more mature types of quests/dialgoue?

6. Are there any type of new weapons? Such as flails that use the physics system? Or perhaps something like whips, tulwars, and zweihanders? (big german sword ).

7. Any new news on whether mounts will be in G3 or not? If they will be, how well developed will they be? Will they be treated like a living animal or more like a "vehicle?" Will we be able to use certain weapons like lances from horseback to joust and such?

ok that's all of them -----

I would love if G3's combat was like Severance's. To this date Severance's combat is my all time favorite combat system for melee based games, no other game has came close to the enjoyment I had playing it except die by the sword (which I played long before severence :p ).
Post Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:54 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Stiler
3.Also is there anychance we'll be seeing things like helmets and shields? If so to what extent?

There will be usable shields, it's already confirmed. What's with the helmets? G2 also had helmets.

quote:
6. Are there any type of new weapons? Such as flails that use the physics system? Or perhaps something like whips, tulwars, and zweihanders? (big german sword ).

There are also two-handed swords in G2, which are already like "big german sword", Heavy Ore Battle Blade for example is something like 6 feet long.

Last edited by Sem on Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:04 am
Morning.LemoN
Village Leader
Village Leader

ah, i forgot:

will we finally get cloaks?
Post Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:07 am
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

What I wanted to know:

-- Will the combat system differ based on the weapon? Obviously no one can fight with the two-handed axe like they fight with tw-handed sword, and fighting with a staff is different also from both of those styles. So, will each weapon have a fighting style/moves/animations actually based on the weapon?

-- And no, don't add any crazy combinations of "3 buttons and 7 keys to be pressed simultaneously to get some one-hit-kill-wonderhit" like it's in many other games (incl. Severance, have played it and it's fight system is annoying, like some little console game).

-- For the love of Gothic, FINALLY, tell us if Chromanin quest in G1 is in the game, in some version or any, or it's something what didn't get finished?

-- Will the damage type matter in the game? Meaning that using a rapier against a skeleton is pretty pointless, hammer or staff or any other blunt weapon is better choise. Shooting arrows at the troll is pointless, but shooting a flaming arrow at the troll would work as the troll is furry and fur burns.. Basically, do people have to use different weapon based on opponent type/armor or any weapon will do?

-- Will there be different animations related to spellcasting? Every spell using the same animation is kind of.. bleak

-- Dungeons! Outdoor adventuring over large and large landscapes is good, but there should be some dungeons too. The Sleeper's Temple in G1 was very good, G2 had nothing similar to offer and in add-on, the Temple of Adanos wasn't that 'dungeonish' either (though better then the tunnels so far in G2).

-- Will there be some 'secret' areas with some interesting items, loot, etc in the game? For example, hearing some old legend in some village and going out to discove it and actually finding a narrow path in mountains, leading to some 'secret' area - ancient city, or city ruins or dungeon?

OK, enough for now, am in a hurry and whipped these questions out in a blink of time
Post Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:06 pm
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Originally posted by Sem
quote:

There will be usable shields, it's already confirmed. What's with the helmets? G2 also had helmets.

quote:

There are also two-handed swords in G2, which are already like "big german sword", Heavy Ore Battle Blade for example is something like 6 feet long.

Good to hear about shields.

As for helmets, I mean more in pieces/style.

I played as a merc. in g2 , woulda been nice to had a helmet for a while.

As far as Zweihander, I meant a sword like a zweihander , with a long slender 6' blade and a high cross guard above the hand guard.
Post Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:57 pm
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Originally posted by Whailor

-- And no, don't add any crazy combinations of "3 buttons and 7 keys to be pressed simultaneously to get some one-hit-kill-wonderhit" like it's in many other games (incl. Severance, have played it and it's fight system is annoying, like some little console game).

Would you rather have a combat system that takes strategy/complex in itself, or one that you simply mash buttons repeatdly?
Post Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:00 pm
bigboy_
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
quote:

Would you rather have a combat system that takes strategy/complex in itself, or one that you simply mash buttons repeatdly?

I`d prefer a combat system that takes strategy/complex in itself. Gothic was always more about thinking than running around and smashing buttons to kill as many monsters as you can.
Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:13 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
[As far as Zweihander, I meant a sword like a zweihander , with a long slender 6' blade and a high cross guard above the hand guard.

So just some different design than the existing two-handers.

I would like to see some complexity or possibilities in the fighting too and not just clicke-the-click-click on the LMB.
Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:47 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Nothing really new, guys.
5 minutes into the SpellForce & G3 session 2 editors from cīt magazine entered the room and we had to start again. The guys were really nice and we got along very well, but everybody who knows the cīt can imagine how important coverage in the most respected German technical PC publication is. Thus both presentations had to aim at the lowest common denominator ( = maybe 10 - 20 lines about each game) and explain certain Spellforce and Gothic basics and their enhancements in the upcoming games.
Post Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:31 pm
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

doh, that sucks

Thanks for trying though , we at least appericate it .
Post Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:49 pm
nasos_333
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
quote:

I think the major point is to have a system with moves not complex to perform, BUT with complex things to do in combat.

Well the best games ever as far as gameplay goes are heroes 5 and zelda series In heroes 3 the turn based combat is just BRILLIANT. All spells have effects that really count, and statistics are more satisfying to increase than the most hardcore rpg i have ever played. The way skills and stats of heroes affects your amies must be the main point there, and the satisfaction of having a low level army upgraded greatly by your strong hero is something no rpg can give

Now zelda is on the action side, but just consider your typical rpg. Cast a spell, hit with the sword, maybe with more than one types of strikes based on buttons hit, skills etc. Well IT GETS BORING. What zelda has that NO OTHER GAME has, or at least has so well implemented

1. Bosses. Yes bosses with specific ways to beat them is NOT A BAD THING. They are memorable, and you have to use your skills to the max to beat them

2. Horse riding/shooting Best thing ever, i have not played the game for ages, but i can still recall how satisfying was to target anything on the move on horseback

3. Bow with arrows, boomerang, slingshot etc. The lock on system works wonderfully, nay other system i have seen looks like a bad immitation. Hit with ease with bow, or take your time and point to where you like to hit. Great for puzzles/disabling traps etc too

4. Slingshot. You can reach places that you could not before, so searching gives an extra adventure flavour to the game. So any of the above could be used to make battle in Gothic 3 even greater.

1. Companions. Have companions (1-2) that you can equip with staff. have leadersip ability to make them respond better, lift their morale etc. Also make them NEEDED in difficult occasions, so we can actually have fun and point to upgrade them/ level them up

2. Horse battle, although i know it is out of the question. It would be rather complex in gothic 3 complex environment too, but cool anyway, so i HAVE to mension it

3. Have magic that COUNTS. Give fire/ice/acid resistance when needed. But have monsters that clearly spit fire/ice/acid so you know when to use what spell. have a levitate spell, a breathe underwater, a water walking, a shrink one too. Spells that can help you navigate difficult environments, and put some rewards when someone can reach a difficult place, some treasure etc
Elemental spells should be able to be cast in two ways, one continous such a fire breath of diablo and one once such as freezing oponents of a fireball. A push spell, that could puch things away would be cool too. Some other spells could be a haste spell or a slow one, a hypnotize or control creature, a ressurect one etc

And about summoning. I suppose the most complete summoning system was a heroes and diablo2 combination

Necromancer could summon the undead, liches, bone dragons etc
Druids can summon animals of various types
Summoners should be able to summon any monster as in Morrowind, after capturing it first of course.
Some more devilish characters should be able to summon demons too.
So why not have those categories of summon spells too ? would be cool to learn them by the correct person/ guild too. Not any guild should teach necromancy, or how to summon demons

4. Zelda's battle will never be surpassed, there were two buttons, BUT what a buttons. Yes you could just hack and slash, but you could move about the oponent, you could block blows with a shield (another GREAT feature of zelda), and in the last game there was a great counterattack like system , when you pressed the button at right timing, you could perform a finishing a stronger move. Now that made things a LOT more interesting.

So have a lock system, two main attacks, maybe we could map special attacks on the second button, and make both buttons context sensitive. Now if spells are done right too,would be great.

Done right means: A spell needs its time to perform. And the effects should last longer so they are more satisfying in general. So let's take a simpel freeze spell. Level it up, and make it freeze more oponents for more time. make the oponents bluish too, so we have a visual of what happens. Freeze tha ground and make enemies slip over. Burn it with a fireball and have a temporary firewall. To call things like deamons, you should take your time, you can't call higher demons just like that.

Finally add some chargable spells, and some area ones. If i recall correctly from gothic 2, your last level spells WERE GREAT INDEED. The summons were VERY NICE too. You did miss on environmental / bonus giving spells though, while morrowind has less impressive spells, but its levitate/water breath, fly, etc give it an edge. Also the strategic spells of heroes could be transfered to some extend to be used by your hero and party or hero alone. A haste could make you hit faster, and slow could make oponents strike slower and would be cool to have.

Anyway all above are great, but i am sure your magic system (which interests me the most anyway) will be stellar. The rune creation system was an adventure itself, IF ONLY THEY HAD AS MANY RUNE STONES AS SPELLS IN THE GOD DAMNED GAME . I had to play mage twice to get all spells, and still if i recall correctly i could not get all high level ones for some reason. I had to cheat my way the last time to get all. I hope this does not happen again. Make it DIFFICULT to get to the runes/spells what ever, but not impossible. It is very irritating. Or have guilds that you can join and not be able to join the other, like a driud can't join necromancers for instance, that way it would make more sense and the next time you should be able to at least get all druid or whatever spells if you change guilds for example

God of war had some nice ideas too, but was a bit on rails, so i do not know if thay could be recommended. Onimusha's finishing system and timing hits were a guide to greatness too, so any game that combines the two button action of zelda with easily changable weapons (sword/bow etc) and context sensitive, with finishing moves and timed attacks of onimusha, and easilly seectable spells like Fable, but with great spell effects like gothic 2 !!! , and spell dirsity of heros 3-4, diablo 2 and morrowind, has something lik the best game ever, if all is done the right way of course. And the right way, is like the in the games i mensioned of course

I forgot the change weather spell of zelda, calling clouds and lightning was GRAND. Would be COOL to have.

Also they should add as many dragons as possible, and as many castles too. castles and dragons are ALWAYS welcome. A red fire dragon, a green acid one, and a black one would be cool to have in the game, and ice one would be cool too. Also different looking this time, with sifferent attacks, moves too. Such a game would be a PITTY not to have dragons
Post Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:01 pm
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Nice post .

Severance's combat system is actually similar to zelda's once you get the hang of it.

You have a lock on function (so that you have a TRUE 3d field of movement in regards to your enemy), it has simple strikes + blocks with shields, however it has a lot more depth to it, with the ability to do various moves depending on both, your skill and the weapon your weilding.

As far as mounted combat goes, I think Mount and blades is probally better as far as a more middle ages'ish feel and realistic feel. ( www.taleworlds.com you can try the demo and see for yourself).
One thing they got down good is the animations/movement of the horses, more then two speeds, walk/trot/canter/gallop, etc.

Though it'll be interesting to see how the upcoming twilight princesses mounted wil be, just wish it wasn't pushed back to 2006 .
Post Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:20 am
nasos_333
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Nice post .

Severance's combat system is actually similar to zelda's once you get the hang of it.

You have a lock on function (so that you have a TRUE 3d field of movement in regards to your enemy), it has simple strikes + blocks with shields, however it has a lot more depth to it, with the ability to do various moves depending on both, your skill and the weapon your weilding.

As far as mounted combat goes, I think Mount and blades is probally better as far as a more middle ages'ish feel and realistic feel. ( www.taleworlds.com you can try the demo and see for yourself).
One thing they got down good is the animations/movement of the horses, more then two speeds, walk/trot/canter/gallop, etc.

Though it'll be interesting to see how the upcoming twilight princesses mounted wil be, just wish it wasn't pushed back to 2006 .

Unfortunatly the new zelda has been pushed back to "sometime after april 2006", which of course means that we might get it sometime summer next year. Anyway, the game looks stellar, bu a little BARREN in comparisson with Gothic 3, Oblivion and Witcher, but a lot better than many other upcoming games i can think of. Let aside that as always the gameplay will be the best ever, those developers really do things right all the way, everything in their games seems just perfect, for example the animations and controls, which give you the feel that you control the character/horse in a way no other game can. Little things like the analog moving shield, and the anolog moving horse with slower pace to running is just not done in other games. I wonder how could they implement such goodies in pc games, without a joystick it is rather hard
Post Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:26 am
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Heh, Mount and blade has that.

For the horse speed you merely control the speed by how many times you press the forward key/back key.

Sort of like a "throttle."

You can make the horse walk/trot/canter/gallop.

And with the shield you can bring it up and then control it's movement/direction with your mouse .
Post Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:48 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next