View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
hachiman
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Party Makeup

Hi

I am thinking of starting W8 again for the 3rd time as i am unhappy with my Party Makeup especially the Magic that i can cast against Groups.My Mage is ok against groups'and Dracons Dragon breath is ok too'but thats really the only things i can do against groups.4 of my other characters have weak group spells like sleep and itching skin'but these are not even guaranteed to work at LVL 1.

At present my Party at the beginging always consists of a

Mage(my only dedicated Magician against groups etc)

Dracon Fighter(very tough'but mainly have him for his Dragons Breath)

Ranger(for searching)

Rogue(for traps/chests)

Leaving me 2 spaces.
This is where i need advice.
What do i fill these 2 spaces with?

I feel that my rogue i start with is perhaps a waste as shortly after the start i meet myles who can replace him.So i am left with 2 Rogues.But this means i would not have a Rogue in the Monastery at the start of the Game.

And also i meet the Valkyrie too in Arnika too.

So i want something to fill these 2 spaces that will do good Damage/spells against groups?

Any advice appreciated !
Post Tue May 14, 2002 3:00 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Get a bard and a priest. Or you can use a bishop in place of the priest.
Post Tue May 14, 2002 5:38 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Unless you plan to play with fire and pickpocket regularly, the rogue doesn't gain you much over a bard or gadgeteer. If you have a specific desire to play a rogue, by all means do so, but a bard or gadg will be just as capable for locks and traps.

For your two spaces, I'd have to agree with the previous opinion somewhat. Definitely pick up a priest or bishop to be your healer. If you haven't completed the game before, I'd go with the priest since bishops can be challenging to develop. Pick up a bard or gadgeteer (personal preference). If you replace your rogue with the bard/gadg, then I'd pick up another tank. I'm partial to monks. Rookies might want to avoid lords since they can be tough to develop well.

I started over 5 times before taking a party thru to the end. Don't feel bad if you take a few tries to find that "perfect" crew.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Tue May 14, 2002 11:20 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

I agree with dropping the rogue & using bard or gadgeteer instead. If you really want to free up space, use a ninja instead of rogue, as this will give you another fighter-type with the lockpick skills. But this ninja will also be a harder character to develop, as you'll pull him/her in 3 directions (fighting, thieving and alchemy).

If you do go for the ninja, then how about adding a priest & bishop for the other two?

If you don't do the ninja, and you go with a rogue/bard/or gadgeteer then I'd suggest another fighter type (monk, samurai, lord, valkyrie - rather than duplicate fighter or ranger), along with a priest or bishop.

Dteowner is right - if you're re-starting out of frustration, keep the classes simpler. For a basic party, there's always the old wizardry standby (going back to wizardry 1) of 3 fighter types, a priest, a thief-type, and a mage. My first wizardry8 party was ranger, monk, lord, priest, bard, mage, which follows this pattern including covering all 4 types of spellcasters. The most flexible change would be to change the lord to another fighter-type if you don't like lords (I'd suggest fighter or valkyrie for maximum armor & weapons choices).
Post Wed May 15, 2002 12:02 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo

Dteowner is right - if you're re-starting out of frustration, keep the classes simpler. For a basic party, there's always the old wizardry standby (going back to wizardry 1) of 3 fighter types, a priest, a thief-type, and a mage. My first wizardry8 party was ranger, monk, lord, priest, bard, mage, which follows this pattern including covering all 4 types of spellcasters. The most flexible change would be to change the lord to another fighter-type if you don't like lords (I'd suggest fighter or valkyrie for maximum armor & weapons choices).

Great minds think alike... The party I settled on to finish the game with the first time was the same as yours except a fighter instead of the lord. I'm about 1/2 thru with my second crew (actually the 8th party I've started), which is monk/samurai/ranger/bishop/bard/mage. While the party hasn't changed much, I'm trying to play the story differently this time. I want to do one more party some time in the future. I've got to stick with a gadg...
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Wed May 15, 2002 2:54 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

Thanks for the compliment, Dteowner. If I haven't complimented you before, well take one for yourself here.
Post Thu May 16, 2002 1:02 am