Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Voice acting
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

What accent would you prefer characters to use?
European
60%
 60%  [ 18 ]
American
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
Don't care
26%
 26%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 30

Author Thread
bosh
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Voice acting

I might be biased but why is it that whilst traveling a relatively small distance in this medieval world you meet people from the entire country of the USA.

American accents spoil the atmosphere for me. I don't just want UK accents (I'm English) but any accent from Europe would make the game less artificial, and keep it to one area.

I understand that a town would have visitors, but they would not come from such a wide area.

Any thoughts?
Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:24 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

The American voice acting was not very good. We really do not sound like that, I hope. But I am from the Midwest which has the most 'neutral' voice. Most television anchors have this 'neutral' voice. The voice actors in the game sound really awful for some NPCs. Go listen to that one woman at Sekob's farm; it sound like a guy trying to imitate an old lady!

I liked the voice acting in the Gothic 1, with the slight European German accent. That made it feel and sound more Gothic.

Have the rich citizen's from the upper quarters have that slight haughty British 'I am better than you' accent is good for them. No offense to UK.

Other NPCs should have a logical accent to what they are. I agree.
Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:40 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I think I am the perfect person to comment on this since I am British but have recently moved to the US a year or so ago.

A lot of the people in gothic seem to either realy force a stereotypical "redneck" accent, or they actually are rednecks. I have heard a couple of other accents in there, such as New York. On a whole I think that a lot of the accents are forced by bad actors trying to do different voices for different NPC's.

I think european accents would be better (Not necessarily British). Just because Europe basically is "The old world". But I dont really care that much. Once I start playing Gothic I just get so absorbed it doesnt really make a difference how the poeple sound.

Anyway. It is a fantasy game after all. The people in Gothic might be born with wildy varying accents
Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:57 pm
Kirkr
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The accents do not matter one jolt. What is imprtant (for those who enjoy voice acting in games) is the conviction with which the words are spoken and how well the lines are delivered.
Gothic 2 has been unjustly criticised in some quarters for its voice acting (take that idiot reviewer at PC Gamer magazine for instance). It`s up to a decent standard, not brilliant - but more than adequate.
Voice acting is the least important part of a good game anyhow. Many RPGS have no voice-acting whatsoever. Note for Piranha Bytes - please release the Gothic 2 add-on here in the UK as soon as possible using German voice actors with English subtitles on as default. I`d be happy to play the add-on without understanding the spoken dialogue and just read the subtitles instead. That would speed up the release of the add-on for us in the UK!
Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:54 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

xerxes im pretty sure that it was, i think it would be best to go for people that have more or less no accents, no more of these damn rednecks, and please god stop with the british slang, and on spot improvisation, it is the reason why most of those jackass reviewers gave g2 a bad score
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:37 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

i preffere european i have Gothic 1 english/german version both of them were very good(voice acting)and also Gothic 2 german version what was also very perfecto but indeed Gothic 2 UK version was a little bit crappy but heej who hears how they sound we look how the game feels
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:05 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by Shmaugus
xerxes im pretty sure that it was, i think it would be best to go for people that have more or less no accents.

hehehehehehehehe

It never stops being funny when people say that.

Don't you realize there is no such thing as someone "without an accent"? That is just a distorted view from your perspective. You are saying they dont have an accent because they sound like you.

For someone to not have an accent, there would have to be a defined state of normality. There is no such thing. About the closest thing you could get to someone "without an accent" would be the very first neanderthal that spoke the very first word.
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:52 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Kirkr
The accents do not matter one jolt. What is imprtant (for those who enjoy voice acting in games) is the conviction with which the words are spoken and how well the lines are delivered.

Exactly. Perfectly sums up how I feel about the issue. You could feel that a particular voice used didn't "fit" your perception of a character, but that's not the same as bad voice acting. For example, many of us were dissapointed in the choice of voice actor for Diego. However, he did deliver his lines correctly and with the proper stress/emotion.
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:26 pm
bosh
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the great replies, but can I just add another point:-

Of course the accents of the characters matter, if buildings in the middle of town were a mix of oriental, african and italian it would look odd. To me, the sound of the game is as important as the look.

Maybe, as has been said, if the voices were better acted then I would be happier.
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:46 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

what i meant by no accent was a native speaking english person that doesnt sound like a hick, a new yorker, a british person, or a texan that is what i define as no accent
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:54 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by Shmaugus
what i meant by no accent was a native speaking english person that doesnt sound like a hick, a new yorker, a british person, or a texan that is what i define as no accent

What is a native speaking English person if it isnt a British person?
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:56 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

someone whose first-language is english that doesnt nesseciarly mean british, or american, or any other nationality for that matter as long as they dont have really really heavy accents
Post Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:58 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

But once again, that depends on your perspective.

Anyone from the USA would consider me having a strong British accent, but someone from my specific area wouldnt. And visa versa.

The concept of having no accent is completely pointless. An accent simply means "The way in which you pronounce the langauge".

A good case in point:

A person (Fred) is from a country where no one speaks English, and Fred had never heard English before. He visits a country with lots of people from around the world that speak English.

All of these people sound different to him because he doesnt have the bias of thinking that his way of speaking English is "Without an Accent", because Fred has never heard it before.

So since Fred has no pre-conceived notion of how English should sound, he is perfectly aware that everyone has an accent. He doesnt just go up to someone and know that they have no accent, because such a thing is just not true.
Post Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:55 pm
bosh
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

You actually need an accent in a game like this, an accent creates an atmosphere, as does the music, the acting, the graphics, the story. To have people with no accent would be like having graphics that are bland and entirely grey.

You need an accent, but what should that accent be.
Post Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:35 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by bosh
To have people with no accent would be like having graphics that are bland and entirely grey.

To have people with no accent would be a miracle...
Post Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:59 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next