RPG joys -- some quick pats on the back for games I enjoy
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

RPG joys -- some quick pats on the back for games I enjoy

Gothic -- Made being a fighter fun. BRAVO!!! Brilliant premise, awesome feeling of exploration. This is game is much more than the sum of it's parts. Incredible.

Morrowind -- Open ended gameplay allows me to play how I like. Wonderful! Beautiful huge gameworld with free exploration.

Arcanum -- Really engaging character buidling system.

NWN -- Scripting engine is amazing. Brilliant tools creation.

Wizardy 8 -- Brings us very close to a pen and paper session in a SINGLE PLAYER RPG (I know NWN does this better but it requires multiplayer).

Fallout 1 and 2-- Setting, rules sytem, story, arms get blown off. The best CRPG's out there (IMHO). Setting is definitely a key part of this.

Torment -- Dialogue and story nigh unbeatable.

Deus Ex -- First person shooter/sneaker RPG with amazing story and gameplay. Great marriage of two styles of gameplay. Cool music, huge game. Fun fun fun.
Post Sun Aug 24, 2003 5:01 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

What about Arx? Have you tried that game?

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sun Aug 24, 2003 7:08 am
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

I am waiting to see how much the Xbox version improves on the original and then I will decide which version to get. I have a feeling ALOT of player issues are being resolved in the Xbox version (as well as bug fixes etc.).

I played the demo and thought it was awesome. I have become a much more 'choosy' customer over the years and I have no qualms about waiting for PC games to hit the 20 mark before buying them.

I am am fairly excited about Arx though, it oozes atmosphere (at leastt he demo does I assume it only gets better) ...
Post Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:59 pm
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

Never did get caught by Arx myself, but perhaps itīs time for another try, now that thereīs almost nothing exciting on the market.

CrossTopicBaner
Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:31 am
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

I just started playing Wizards and Warriors(never played it before), it has a good 'old style' CRPG feel, it even has an odd loading and saving system! It just happened to be the type of game I was looking for last week when I found it at a freind's house.
LB
Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:48 am
corwin

A few of us are actually replaying M&M7 and having a blast. Retro games can be fun.

Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:20 am
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

True words indeed, Corwin. People tend to focus too much on graphics these days, but in my opinion itīs the atmosphere that counts. Sure, if they can combine it, Iīm not the one to complain, but unfortunatly that seem to be a rarity.
What adds more to atmosphere than graphics are often sound; ambient and music as well as effects. In many many games these are overlooked, but now I think more and more developers realize this is a very important aspect of a deep experience.

CrossTopicBaner
Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:40 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Few days ago I finished M&M8 again. A blast indeed And, funny enough, I'm going to play Wiz&Wars very soon. I ordered my copy on eBay recently, and it should be here in a couple of days already. Can't wait to play it. Year ago I tried it on my friend's PC and though it was a very fun game. And I'm a huge fan of Wizardry series, too, so maybe there is a pattern here

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:43 am
corwin

I loved wiz8 and have the original wiz7, but I can't get it to run on my current computer.

Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:07 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

You can either have Wizardry Gold, or try and run Wiz7 through some emulating software. I use DOSBox, free software, very small and nice. It can be found here: http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1
It allows to run almost any old DOS game with sound. I used it to run all my old Wiz games, and such D&D Goldbox pearls like Savage Frontier etc. Works fine with Arena, too. Try it.

BTW I use Win2K, so not sure about XP systems. But if you have one, again try it and give us a feedback

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:37 am